Conditional Access Tips From the Trenches

I want to drop some lines about my experience deploying several projects of Azure Conditional Access

  • Always exclude your emergency accounts from the conditional access policies (remember if you don’t have an Emergency Account, you’re late), this is something that I always tell to my customers and I will never give up
  • Don’t enable new policies without communicate properly to the organization, and also to foresee the impact in the users (you will save a lot of tickets from the customer service)
  • Don’t enable policies that requires compliant or hybridAzureAdJoin devices without verifying the state of the devices in the Azure Portal (same as before, you will save tickets and system interruption from the end users)
  • Careful with including in the policies the application “all apps”, is it possible to have a disgusting surprise (in my case, it happened to me in Azure, I put some exclusions, but it seems that sometimes the portal calls randomly to other APIs that cannot be controlled (and do not exist in AAD), so the user received a block in the portal even if the policy makes sense for you)
  •  If you go ahead with the policy with “All Cloud Apps” for the policies bases on devices, be sure to exclude in the policy the app “Intune Enrollment” or you won’t be able to enrol new devices in the portal
  • It is very easy to include multiple cases in one policy, but if you want to troubleshoot of what is happening, is it easier to segment the policy in multiple policies. Eat the elephant bite by bite, we have to put in the balance having and managing several policies or be able to troubleshoot correctly.
  • Is it recommended to include a naming convention in your policies, in a bird’s eye, you will be able to know what is the use for each policy (user, device, administrator, guest)

So, this is all, probably you’re following most of these recommendations, but if not, don be a fool 😉

Till next time!

Conditional Access extension for Chrome

If you’re implementing conditional access in your company and you’re struggling with Windows 10 devices and Chrome support, probably you will need to visit that Docs link: https://docs.microsoft.com/es-es/azure/active-directory/conditional-access/concept-conditional-access-conditions#chrome-support

But in this post, I want to talk about something related to it, in one of my projects, I have a CA policy that required one of the following selected controls: Require MFA or Require Hybrid AAD joined device

My device was Hybrid, so I was fullfilling one of the requirements, for example, when I was accessing with IE or Edge, the device info gets passed properly and MFA is bypassed for hybrid AAD machines.

But with Chrome, even having the Windows 10 Account extension pushed via GPO, I was able to see in the azure sign-in logs that device info is blank except for Browser and OS, so the AAD join status is not passed and MFA triggers. So it was very weird and it was causing me some problems…

So finally, after hours of troubleshooting, i finally figured out what was wrong. When you automatically install the extension, it doesn’t clear some cookies which Chrome will then try to use the old way of logging in. So in this case what you will need to do is access to chrome://settings/content/all and delete the cookies for login.microsoftonline.com

After doing that, everything was working perfectly, keep aware of that!!