Another quick post about file shares and SharePoint:
- Identify your crawl account, because this account will be used to index the file share (unless specified differently with a crawl rule), so it is necessary to have read access to the file share to this account
- If crawled files in file share system contain metadata, this will be used by the search refiners in SharePoint
- Security trimming is respected, so when end users search the document in the search site, it will be displayed according to the permissions given on the files and folders.
- Only metadata of the documents will be stored in SharePoint, not the documents
- It is not possible to get a preview from Office documents that are stored in File Shares, to get a preview, you’ll need to use third party tools.